Advanced Certificate in Counselling
12 month membership to the International Association for Counselling
Support the mental health and personal development of people in their everyday relationships and circumstances. Learn from experts in counselling to better understand clients, their specific needs and help address the issues and problems they face.
This intensive and comprehensive course covers the theory, skills and techniques required to be a professional counsellor. This certificate begins by taking you through the basics of counselling before moving into advanced concepts and techniques for a holistic learning experience.
This course can be paid off through an interest free payment plan for $25 per week. It also qualifies for a discount for upfront payments.
This course is made up of 6 in-depth modules and includes 45 lessons. The amount of study time required to complete this course is approximately 600 hours of study. There is an option to reduce modules from this program to suit your needs.
You are studying online – but you are not studying alone. Our tutor support service comes with all of our courses and is available to you 24 hours, 7 days a week.
A Certificate of attainment will be issued upon completion of your course. Also included with your course is a free 12 month membership to the International Association for Counselling.
Online 24/7 access to your course allowing you to fit your study in with your schedule.
This certificate is accredited through the International Approval and Registration Centre (IARC). A non-profit, global organisation to help you gain employment.
This course is ideal for:
- Beginners with no study experience
- People looking to start or transition into a career in counselling
- Students looking to study counselling and psychology
Developed and taught by experts in the industry, this certificate is delivered online to suit your lifestyle which allows you to study at your own pace.
Once you have completed the course you will be able to get started in this industry, as well as opening up a great pathway to a degree such as a Diploma in Psychology.
Where could you work?
- School Counsellor
- Careers Counsellor
- Drug and Alcohol Counsellor
- Family Support Officer
- Counselling Service Manager
- Age Care Worker
- Mental Health Administration Worker
- Phone crisis support counselling
This course is comprised of 6 modules:
- Introduction to Psychology
- Certificate in Psychology and Counselling
- Counselling Skills
- Advanced Counselling Skills
- Counselling Techniques
- Professional Practice in Psychology
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted and marked by the school’s tutors before it is returned to you with any comments, feedback and if necessary, extra reading.
Topics that will be covered in the Introduction to Psychology module include:
- The Nature and Scope of Psychology
- The Neurological Basis of Behaviour
- Environmental Effects on Behaviour
- Consciousness and Perception
- Psychological Development
- Needs, drives and motivation
Topics that will be covered in the Certificate in the Psychology & Counselling module include:
- Abnormal behaviour
- Individual behaviour
- Group behaviour
- Methods of dealing with abnormalities
- Conflict resolution
- Interpersonal communication skills
Topics that will be covered in the Counselling Skills module include:
- Learning specific skills
- Listening & bonding
- Interview Techniques
- Changing Beliefs and Normalising
- Finding Solutions
- Ending the Counselling
Topics that will be covered in the Certificate in the Advanced Counselling Skills module include:
- The Counselling Session
- Focus on the Present
- Telephone Counselling
- Dealing with Crisis
- Problem Solving Techniques I – Aggression
- Problem Solving Techniques II – Depression
- Problem Solving Techniques III – Grief and Loss
- Problem Solving Techniques IV – Suicide
Topics that will be covered in the Counselling Techniques module include:
- Psychoanalytic psychotherapy I
- Psychoanalytical psychotherapy II
- Humanistic/Existential approaches I
- Humanistic/Existential approaches II
- Rational emotive therapy
- Behavioural therapy
- Solution Focussed Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Topics that will be covered in the Certificate in the Professional Practice in Psychology module include:
- Understanding Counselling
- Ethics & Confidentiality
- Understanding the Self
- Emotions & Behaviour
- Referral Practice
“The notes and study tools encourage me to conduct research to develop my knowledge of components in my course. It is very worthwhile. [My tutor] gives me good feedback and food for thought with her comments and sometimes elaborates on my answers – really value her input.”
“Being based at home, it has meant that I have been able to study something that I have wanted to do for a long time without having to worry about childcare etc.”
“[This course] is really valuable, because we can imagine and identify people’s behaviour and social/environmental effects on personality. We can be aware of our own children’s psychological aspects and their childhood development. Very good outcome from the course.”