Advanced Certificate in Crop Production
Learn about different types of crop systems, how to establish and nurture crops, and techniques used in traditional and organic growing systems.
The course is packed with all the information you need to start, expand or further your business journey. We offer a wide range of electives so you can focus on specific areas of farming depending on your relevant needs and interests.
This course can be paid off through an interest free payment plan for $35 per week. It also qualifies for a discount for upfront payments.
This course is made up of 7 in-depth modules. The amount of study time required to complete this course is approximately 750 hours of study. There is an option to reduce modules from this program to suit your needs.
You are studying online – but you are not studying alone. Our tutor support service comes with all of our courses and is available to you 24 hours, 7 days a week.
A Certificate of attainment will be issued upon completion of your course.
Online 24/7 access to your course allowing you to fit your study in with your schedule.
This certificate is accredited through the International Approval and Registration Centre (IARC). A non-profit, global organisation to help you gain employment.
This course is ideal for:
- Plant and gardening lovers
- Beginners with no study experience
This course has been designed by industry professionals to kick start your journey into the world of horticulture. It is delivered online to suit your lifestyle and allow you to study at your own pace.
The Advanced Certificate in Crop Production is a broad horticultural course covering all aspects of crop production from growing outdoor and greenhouse-protected crops, soil management, irrigation, and a general horticultural knowledge.
Where could you work?
- As a crop grower
- As a farm manager
- Greenhouse worker
- On a produce or flower farm
- In an fruit orchard
- Managing a farm supply, service or marketing business
- In crop processing facilities
- Crop and produce marketing, education and media
This course is comprised of 7 modules:
- Foundation in Horticulture
- Soil Management (Crops)
- Outdoor Crop Production
- Protected Plant Production
- Irrigation – Crops
- Farm Management
- 1 elective module of your choice
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted and marked by the school’s tutors before it is returned to you with any comments, feedback and if necessary, extra reading.
Topics covered in the Foundation in Horticulture module include:
- Plant growth stages and life cycles
- Pollination and fertilisation
- Seed formation and germination
- Plant propagation
- Growing plants in greenhouses
- Outdoor food production
- Fruit and vegetable crops
- Pests and diseases
- Garden planning
- Indoor plants
Topics covered in the Soil Management module include:
- Physical and chemical properties
- Soil testing methods
- Sustainable soil management
- Soils and managing earthworks
- Land degradation and other problems
- Soil science and health
- Soil management
Topics covered in the Outdoor Crop Production module include:
- Crop production systems
- Organic crop production
- Soils and nutrition
- Nursery stock production
- Tree fruit production
- Soft fruits production
- Vegetable production
- Cut Flower production
- Herbs, nuts and miscellaneous crops
Topics covered in the Protected Plant Protection module include:
- Environmental control
- Nursery nutrition
- Relationship between production techniques and horticultural practices
- Horticultural greenhouse management
- Pests and diseases
- Harvest and post harvest technology
- Greenhouse plants
- Risk assessment
Topics covered in the Irrigation – Crops module include:
- Estimating plant and soil requirements
- Types of irrigation systems
- Pumps and filters
- Selecting the right system for the plant
- Trickle irrigation
- Design and operation of systems
Topics covered in the Farm Management module include:
- Strategic Planning
- Business Plans
- Business Assessment
- Viability Analysis
- Management Strategies
- Human Resources
- Physical Resources
- Natural Resources
Elective Modules to choose from:
- Agricultural Irrigation
- Organic Plant Culture
- Organic Farming
- Commercial Organic Vegetable Growing
- Horticultural Resource Management
- Machinery and Equipment
- Commercial Vegetable Production